Bob Baker's Artist Empowerment Blog

Are You Certain? Or Not?

Here's a thought to ponder that just might have a big impact on the way you approach creative success.

Life is filled with a combination of two things: certainty and uncertainty. Lucky for us, it is. If we were absolutely certain about everything, life would be routine and boring. If we were filled with uncertainty about everything, we'd constantly live in fear.

Having a balance between the two is healthy. The only thing is, most artists and writers (and creative people in general) have an unhealthy certainty and uncertainty balance.

Want some examples?

Common Topics Artists Are Often Certain About:

- Pursuing an independent creative career is a tough, uphill battle.
- It's not what you know, it's who you know.
- If I can't get widespread media exposure, I'm doomed.
- Without approval from an industry gatekeeper, I will wallow in obscurity for eternity.

Common Topics Artists Are Often Uncertain About:

- Do I really have what it takes to succeed as an artist?
- How can I possibly promote myself when I know very little about it?
- Do I even deserve to reach my artistic dreams?
- How can I compete with so many other talented artists?

Here's the thing, all of these thoughts of certainty and uncertainty are merely personal perceptions. In other words, they're choices that each person makes. So, if you get to choose, why not put a more empowering spin on your choices?

What if you were to reverse the categories above? What if you had a sense of certainty about your ability to promote yourself and find your unique place in the world of successful artists?

You might not know how you're going to get there, but you can still embrace a feeling of confident expectation that you will arrive. You do the same thing when you drive somewhere you've never been before. You may not be familiar with the route, but you "know" that you will get there.

And what if you cultivated a less certain attitude toward industry rules and traditions? What if you asked, "Do I really need widespread media exposure to reach my fans?" or "Might I enjoy an independent, do-it-yourself career more than the traditional path?" or "How can I make promotion fun instead of a hardship?"

Keep a watchful eye on the way you process your world. And when you find yourself latching on to a certainty or an uncertainty, ask that most powerful of questions ...

What if ...?

Doing so will greatly increase your odds of reaching your dreams. And that's one thing I am certain about!

-Bob

1 Comments:

  • Good post on artist empowerment.

    http://www.selfhelpzone.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home