Bob Baker's Artist Empowerment Blog

Bob Baker on NPR's 'Morning Edition' today

Allow me to toot my own horn and share some good news. I was featured in a short radio piece today on Morning Edition, which is broadcast to more than 12 million people on 600 NPR stations across the U.S. and beyond.


You can listen to the three and a half minute segment here:
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11250011

It was about the recent FCC payola ruling (which I wrote about last week on my music promotion blog) and, more specifically, Clear Channel radio's new attempt to give more exposure to local and independent musicians. But the agreement they ask artists to make is raising a lot of questions.

Reporter Neda Ulaby used quotes from three people in this great piece, so she could only use sound bites from each of the interviews. While I take a "pro exposure" stance, don't think for a moment that I devalue the worth of an indie artist's music.

I don't think creative people should always give up everything or "play for free" just for the "exposure." You should read and be concerned about the legal agreements you enter into. But don't let these concerns scare you and keep you from taking advantage of true exposure opportunities.

I've found that a lot of artists are overly paranoid about people -- and corporations -- stealing their stuff. But in reality, their biggest problem isn't copyright infringement. It's obscurity.

If Clear Channel (or any commercial radio station) is willing to give you airplay in an attempt to improve its image as a do-gooder, I think you should strongly consider it. As I mention in the NPR piece, the worse case scenario isn't really all that bad, in my opinion.

-Bob

Music press kits PR for bands
Are your press kits going straight into the trash? Make sure your PR materials are actually read ... and help lead you to more media exposure. Check out Killer Music Press Kits today!

1 Comments:

  • Hello Bob,

    Good to know you have participated in NPR...Oh yeah I have seen an email from Pandora Internet radio's Tim on Risa's blog where is mentioned "The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home