Bob Baker's Artist Empowerment Blog

14 Things I've Learned About Creative Success

  1. Turn your mistakes into a reference library, not a room to live in.

  2. Do not take advice from people who are broke and struggling -- unless you want to end up like them.

  3. Great marketing is falling in love with something, then selling your love for it -- not the product itself.

  4. Realize the lifetime value of a fan: It's far more than a single sale.

  5. Pick one aspect of your art or personality and make that the cornerstone of your public identity.

  6. Conduct yourself as if you deliver great value to everyone you encounter -- even if you don't believe you actually do at the moment.

  7. Be willing to take smart risks and overcome the fear of failure. Ask: "What's the worst thing that can happen?" Usually, not much.

  8. Beware of the quick fix. The sure and steady marathon beats the sprint every time.

  9. Ask: "How did you hear about me/us/the event?" It's one of the best, low-cost research tools you can use.

  10. Ask: "What will it take to get from 'Here's what I dream about' to 'Here's what I did'?"

  11. No one will manage you until you can manage yourself.

  12. Be proactive instead of reactive. In other words, create the circumstances you want, don't merely respond to what's handed to you.

  13. Stagnation occurs when your fear of the unknown is greater than your desire for a better life.

  14. What you do today sets the stage for the success you will enjoy tomorrow. Don't squander today.
-Bob

2 Comments:

  • Wonderful list, thankyou - it rings true for so many things, I think I will print it and put it up in my studio!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:14 AM  

  • Terrific post Bob. I'm glad I found your blog, keep up the great work. I'll have a post about this on Tuesday at whyifailed.com. Thanks, Steve

    By Blogger Steve, At 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home