Bob Baker's Artist Empowerment Blog

Creative Headaches: You Need the Eggs

About this post: If you've been reading my stuff for very long, you know that I'm an optimist and a possibility thinker. I definitely feel that's the most empowering way to live your life. But as my "realist" friends often remind me, life isn't always a bowl of kiwi.

There can be a lot of heartaches and frustrations and disappointments along the way. I don't deny that. I just don't dwell on it, since there are so many other experts around who are eager to tell you how hard it can be to pursue a career in the arts.

I preach mostly about the good, but for a change of pace, let me take a stab at dealing with the bad and the ugly. Here goes ...


At the beginning of the movie "Annie Hall," Woody Allen's character, Alvy Singer, tells a joke about a guy who goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken." The doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" And the guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs."

At the end of the film, the joke comes full circle when Alvy ties it into the roller coaster ride of a relationship he's had with Annie (played by Diane Keaton):

"I guess that's pretty much how I feel about relationships. You know, they're totally irrational and crazy and absurd, but I guess we keep going through it because ... most of us need the eggs."

Funny stuff -- and more true than many are willing to admit. The same sentiment can be applied to the business of music, writing, film, art, etc. Can you relate?

Have you ever been frustrated by the actions (or inaction) of an agent, editor or gallery owner? Ever felt like pulling out your hair over a stubborn director, publisher, singer or guitar player? Ever been disappointed by the amount of money you spent or made doing something arts-related?

Of course you have. And you probably wondered if it was all worth it. You may have even considered chucking the whole thing and accepting the idea that you're not cut out for this business.

Then what happened?

Most likely, you worked your way through it and found the ideal final member to round out the band. Or finally displayed your work at the big art exhibit you've been dreaming about. Or got the book written and published. Or landed the big article in the local newspaper.

And it was then that you felt fantastic and realized the journey was totally worth it. The ups and the downs. The joys and the frustrations. It's what you have to go through to reach meaningful goals and enjoy your passions.

And that's true whether we're talking about romantic relationships, creative success or just about anything else in life that's worth doing.

So get busy pursuing your goals and taking on the challenges. Because, admit it ... you need the eggs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home