Bob Baker's Artist Empowerment Blog

It's Never Too Late to Become What You Are

On Joyce Wycoff's Good Morning Thinkers blog, she recently expounded upon George Eliot's quote, "It is never too late to become what you might have been."

Here's an interesting excerpt, which touches on similar ground discussed in my Take Back Your Crayons post:

"Perhaps the sweetest thing about exploring alternative paths at mid-life is the freedom from world-determined expectations of success. Mid-life artists don't have to cater to the whims of critics or the public, mid-life novelists can joyfully experience an imaginary world without worrying about publication, and mid-life compassion can be shared with one child without feeling responsible for changing the world. We can learn things for the sheer joy of learning, make stuff for the joy of creation and become whatever we want to be without worrying about getting a grade, passing muster or winning an award."

This has got me thinking a lot lately about creating vs. marketing and how the two are indeed different functions that in many ways should remain separate -- but in other ways should happily work together for the benefit of all. I plan to post more thoughts on this next week.

In the meantime, check out Joyce Wycoff's site. In addition to writing and speaking about innovation and creativity, she is an author, poet, photographer and passionate believer in the power of people to change the world.

And we can certainly use more people like her in the world.

1 Comments:

  • I turned 40 this year, but for the last three I’ve felt as if I was going to explode if I didn’t do something, anything, creative. The feeling was a growing monster inside me clawing to get out. Thanks to the loving support of my husband, I am now staying home and relearning how to let go and create. I do crafts, art and have actually written 2 unpublished books. Still I struggle with the “You can’t make any money doing that!” voice of my mother.
    Reading this article really touched me and helped me to feel like I was not so alone or crazy. Actually, my therapist just told me that spending my time exploring my creative talents was exactly what I needed to do to combat anxiety and stress related health problems. Seems letting that monster out to play is more important than most realize. I’ve stocked up on art supplies and I fight with that voice to rediscover the joy of creating I had as a kid. I don’t just want my crayons back, I want my Barbies too. :)
    Thanks for posting this article and leading to Ms. Wycoff’s site.

    Sincerely,
    Elf

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home